Location icon next to preserve location
bridgton, maine

About Peabody-Fitch Woods

Peabody-Fitch Woods (PFW) is a 252-acre forest with 2.5 miles of trails surrounding the fields of Bridgton Historical Society's Narramissic Farm.

The woods and trails are available for public use year round for walking, hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, nature observation, hunting, and ATV and snowmobiling on designated trails.

Note: Please be respectful of residents and adhere to the speed limit on Ingalls Road.


The Peabody-Fitch Farm was established in 1797 by one of Bridgton’s first settlers, William Peabody. Peabody established a granite quarry for the home and farm buildings. The quarry remains intact on the southwestern corner of the parcel. Stone walls indicate both animal pastures and cultivated lands. At least one road crossed the property, coming from the John Peabody farm to today’s Narramissic farm and on to points west in Denmark and Bridgton.

In 1938, Margaret Monroe purchased the property to use as a summer home. After her death in 1986, the home, barn, and fields were donated to the Bridgton Historical Society while the forestland was left to her daughter, Peg Normann.

In August 2019 Loon Echo Land Trust purchased the forest from Peg’s estate after a major fundraising effort. The house and barn is maintained by Bridgton Historical Society and is open for tours Tuesday-Saturday from 11-3 through August 15.  The woods are available for public use year round and free of charge.

Thank you to the many individual donors that made this land protection project possible. Additional thanks to the Bridgton Historical Society, Portland Water District, Sebago Clean Waters, Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation, Davis Conservation Foundation, Morton-Kelly Charitable Trust, an anonymous family foundation, Kendal C. and Anna Ham Foundation and Fields Pond Foundation.

Trails & Maps

Quarry Trail Loop (2.0 miles):
Generally flat, although steep in sections. Wide corridor to begin, trail narrows as you get to the ‘lollipop’. Roots and rocks near the quarries. Maps located at all trail intersections.

Head left or right on Field Loop Trail, follow blue blazes from the top of the field.
Peggy's Pasture Loop (0.5 miles):
Gravel surfaced with a gentle slope.

Open for walking, rated for wheeled mobility devices. Three benches spaced at equal intervals provide rest areas.
Arrow signaling to click.
questions for our land manager?

Talk to Jon!

Email Jon

Find the perfect place to explore!

Location icon next to preserve location
our preserves are free and open to the public